Bee Sting Protocol
Bee stings occur commonly in camp settings. Bee stings can be life threatening if they evolve into a anaphylaxis.
- Send camper to infirmary for immediate evaluation
- Apply ice to the sting area
- Remove visible stingers gently to extract the entire stinger. Avoid leaving part of the stinger embedded
- Observe camper for a minimum of 30 minutes
- If no escalation of symptoms after 30 minutes, camper may return to activities
- Inform supervising staff to report any subsequent symptoms and have camper return to infirmary
- Administer weight based diphenhydramine for mild itching and swelling
- Consider administration of steroids for moderate to severe reactions
For symptoms of anaphylaxis, administer Epipen immediately and call 9-1-1 to transport the camper to nearest emergency department. Please refer to Anaphylaxis Protocol for further guidance.